Gimghoul Castle (Chapel Hill, NC)
In honor of tonight's final episode of Late Show With David Letterman , from the home office in Greensboro, North Carolina, here are t...
In honor of tonight's final episode of Late Show With David Letterman, from the home office in Greensboro, North Carolina, here are the top ten reasons you should visit Chapel Hill's Gimghoul Castle:
10. It has the word ghoul in its name.
9. It's the home of a secret society, The Order Of Ghimghoul. We're talking the Chapel Hill Illuminati, people!
8. The castle itself was built from 1920 to 1926 and cost $50,000 to complete.
7. Legend has it that in 1831, a UNC student by the name of Peter Dromgoole was challenged to a duel by another man over the affections of a woman named Fanny. Poor Peter lost the duel and died on the grounds of the castle.
6. After Dromgoole was killed, he was buried in a shallow grave under Dromgoole Rock, a blood-stained rock found in front of Gimghoul Castle. This may or may not be it. (Probably not).
5. When someone's killed over matters of the heart, shallow graves are involved, or haphazard gravestones come into play, ghosts show up. This story has all three, so you know this place is seriously haunted.
4. The castle was the subject of a 2013 documentary, Murf Vs. Gimghoul, which chronicled The Chris Gethard Show's Murf Meyer's 2.5 year attempt to expose the secret society.
3. Despite the fact that it may be haunted, may be home to a secret society, may have a bloody rock in front of it, and may be the site of a famous duel, there is a very public gravel road in front of it that tons of people hike and jog on every day.
2. It's probably just a frat house. But you might stumble onto a legendary kegger during your visit!
1. Again, it's got the word ghoul in its name. What more do you really need?
What To Know Before You GoGPS Coordinates: (35.912097, -79.036009)
Location: 742 Gimghoul Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514