Carbonton Dam Powerhouse (Sanford, NC)
While more primitive dams existed in the 1800s, it wasn't until 1921 that a proper dam and powerhouse was built in Sanford. Measur...
While more primitive dams existed in the 1800s, it wasn't until 1921 that a proper dam and powerhouse was built in Sanford.
Measuring 270 feet long and 17 feet wide, the Carbonton Dam was the first electrical power plant in the Sandhills.
In 2005 and 2006, the dam was demolished by Restoration Systems LLC because the dam had damaged the ecosystem and to "re-establish the native aquatic ecology of the Cape Fear River Basin to gain 'mitigation credits' under the North Carolina Ecosystem Enhancement Program."
While most of the dam has been destroyed except for a small section on the opposite bank, the large powerhouse was left intact for vandals, photographers, and people looking to ride out the Zombie Apocalypse.
Actually, there are plans to restore the powerhouse and turn it into a corporate retreat and conference center.
The area is part of the Deep River Park.
There is even a picnic table nearby.
Fun fact: The Carbonton Dam Powerhouse is also the geographic center of North Carolina.
What To Know Before You GoGPS Coordinates: (35.519646, -79.347759)
Location: 6030 Carbonton Road, Sanford